What is Patient Blood Management?
Patient blood management (PBM) is an evidence-based, multidisciplinary approach to optimizing the care of patients who might need transfusion. This approach to patient care ensures that the decision to transfuse involves the right patient, the right blood product, at the right time.
PBM encompasses all aspects of patient care to minimize the need for transfusion including:
- Preoperative anemia evaluation and treatment to maximize hemoglobin
- Intra-operative surgical techniques to minimize blood loss
- Devices to recover blood lost during surgery
- Clinical-decision support and computerized physician order entry for blood products
- In vivo laboratory tests to monitor coagulation